Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Well, unless you have no access to facebook or anyone in my family with a phone, you have probably heard. But just in case you haven't.... I'M ENGAGED!!! But even for those of you who have heard I wanted to post the entire proposal story.

I left Thursday afternoon to return to Idaho for my second semester. Jon and I had been talking about marriage but I asked him not to propose until after I had left for Idaho. I told him I didn't care if it was the day after, as long as it was after. So Thursday we had our tearful goodbye and I headed of to live approximately 587 miles away from my love. The next few days were very rough and emotional. I had a difficult time getting in to my apartment because of a misunderstanding and I had that extra stress on top of the stress of moving in. It was FABULOUS to see my roommates again, but also really hard to be away from Jon. We were talking on the phone several times a day, and he seemed to be taking the long distance thing a whole lot easier than I was. Saturday night he called me on his way home from work and seemed very distant and distracted the entire conversation. At 9:30 he told me he wasn't feeling well and needed to go to bed. I though this was very strange since he sounded just fine, but told him to go get some sleep. He immediately accepted this response and was anxious to get off the phone. I was feeling very down at this point and went to crawl in to Jule's bed with her and Syd (which is by the way a twin size). I was telling them how down I felt about the whole situation and didn't feel like I was getting much sympathy. They were being a little weird and just laughing off certain things I said. When I jokingly made a comment about how comfortable we all were and that we should just sleep like that Syd quickly and sternly replied "NO". Feeling rather lonely and confused, I went to bed, planning to wake up at 8 the next morning for church.

Morning came and I was woken up by someone shaking me. I rolled over and looked up and saw Jon standing there looking very handsome in his suit. I was SO shocked to see him there. The first words out of my mouth were "what are you doing here? you can't be here!" Syd and Jules sat in the hallway and captured (blury but sweet) pictures of the magical moment.

I was so excited to see him I didn’t notice he was holding a ring. I just wanted to hug him!

Oh goodness I love this boy!


Telling me he loves me and needs me and doesn’t want to ever have to do anything without me and asking me to be his wife!!!

Trying on the ring!!!

VERY happy to be engaged!

My BEATIFUL ring (with wedding band)

We spend the remainder of the week cuddling on the couch, doing dinner with friends, shopping in IF, watching movies, playing at the park, making wedding/marriage plans, and spending LOTS of time on the phone with our relatives sharing the good news! It was an amazing weekend and very hard to see him leave on Tuesday night. But, now I get to put my missing him time in to planning a wedding!

By the way, we’re tentatively planning on a September 4th wedding. We know that’s at a difficult time for everyone but would love to see as many of you as can make it.


The Andersons: said...

Congratulations!! I hadn't heard but we are so excited for you! I'm assuming the wedding is in Colorado? I believe that is Labor Day weekend so maybe we will try to make it out there!

admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
erikalyn said...

Congrats Mary!